What are the main chords in the key of A flat? We will take a look at triads (three note chords) and four note extended chords (with sevenths) in this key.
The Key Of G Sharp
The key of G sharp major makes use of the same chords and scale notes except that the notes and chords have different names. But because of notation difficulties caused by the need for a double sharp, this key is hardly used.
First of all, let’s take a look at the A flat major scale. The notes in this scale are Ab Bb C Db Eb F G. The chords in Ab follow the pattern, Major Minor Minor Major Major Minor Diminished. This gives us the chords, Ab major, Bb minor, C minor, Db major, Eb major, F minor, G diminished. When you add sevenths the chords are Ab major seventh, Bb minor seventh, C minor seventh, Db major seventh, Eb dominant seventh, F minor seventh, G minor seventh flat five.
To learn more about chords by key (what chords are in what key and why), check out my book, Master Piano Chords By Key And Give Yourself A Big Advantage When Playing, Learning Or Writing Songs.
Roman numerals indicate each chord’s position relative to the scale. Numerals that represent a major chord are usually capitalized, and minor and diminished chords are lower case.
- I – Ab major, Ab major seventh (Abmaj, Abmaj7)
- ii – Bb minor, Bb minor seventh (Bbm, Bbm7)
- iii – C minor, C minor seventh (Cm, Cm7)
- IV – Db major, Db major seventh (Db, Dbmaj 7)
- V – Eb major, Eb dominant seventh (Eb, Eb7)
- vi – F minor, F minor seventh (Fm, Fm7)
- vii° – G diminished, G minor seventh flat five (G°, Gm7b5)
Piano Chords In The Key Of A Flat Major
Here’s a diagram showing basic chords in Ab major.
So what are the notes of the triad and four note chords in the key of A flat?
- Chord I, A flat major consists of the notes, Ab – C – Eb, while Ab major seventh consists of the notes, Ab – C – Eb – G.
- Chord ii, B flat minor consists of the notes, Bb – Db – F. Bb minor seventh consists of the notes, Bb – Db – F – Ab.
- Chord iii, C minor contains the notes, C – Eb – G. C minor seventh contains the notes, C – Eb – G – Bb.
- Chord IV, Db major contains the notes, Db – F – Ab. Db major seventh contains the notes, Db – F – Ab – C.
- Chord V, E flat major contains the notes, Eb – G – Bb. Eb dominant seventh contains the notes, Eb – G – Bb – Db.
- Chord vi, F minor consists of the notes, F – Ab – C. F minor seventh consists of the note, F – Ab – C – Eb.
- Lastly, chord vii°, G diminished consists of the notes, G – Bb – Db, while G minor seventh flat five consists of the notes, G – Bb – Db – F.
Common chord progressions in the key of A flat major are as follows:
- I – IV – V (Ab – Db- Eb)
- I – vi – IV – V (Ab – Fm – Db – Eb)
- ii – V – I (Bbm7 – Eb7 – Abmaj7)
Here’s a diagram of the A flat major key signature and the notes of the Ab major scale on the treble and bass clefs. There are four flats in this scale, namely Ab, Bb, Db and Eb.
Here’s a diagram showing the Ab major scale on piano.
Be sure to check out the Piano For All piano lessons. It’s my favorite online course for learning how to play the piano and keyboard.