The key of D flat major makes use of the same chords and scale notes as the key of C sharp major, except that the notes and chords have different names. Db and C# are enharmonic equivalents.
What are the chords in the key of Db major?
First of all let’s take a look at the D flat major scale. The notes in this scale are Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db. Like every other major key the chords in this key follows the pattern major minor minor major major minor diminished.
The triads in the key of D flat major are Dbmaj, Ebmin, Fmin, Gbmaj, Abmaj, Bbmin and Cdim. The four note chords with sevenths are Dbmaj7, Ebmin7 Fmin7, Gbmaj7, Ab7, Bbmin7 and Cm7b5.
To learn more about chords by key (what chords are in what key and why), check out my book, Master Piano Chords By Key And Give Yourself A Big Advantage When Playing, Learning Or Writing Songs.
Let’s list these chords by roman numerals. Each note in the scale is represented by a different roman numeral. Notice that some are capitalized while others are not.
- I – Db major, Db major seventh (bDmaj, Dbmaj7)
- ii – Eb minor, Eb minor seventh (Ebm, Ebm7)
- iii – F minor, F minor seventh (Fm, Fm7)
- IV – Gb major, Gb major seventh (Gb, Gbmaj 7)
- V – Ab major, Ab dominant seventh (Ab, Ab7)
- vi – Bb minor, Bb minor seventh (Bbm, Bbm7)
- vii° – C diminished, C minor seventh flat five (C°, Cm7b5)
Watch this lesson:
Piano Chords In The Key Of D Flat Major
The following key chord chart shows the triads and four note extended chords in the key of Db major.
So what notes do these chords consist of?
- Chord I, Db major (Db – F – Ab). Db major seventh (Db – F – Ab – C).
- Chord ii, Eb minor (Eb – Gb – Bb). Eb minor seventh (Eb – Gb – Bb – Db).
- Chord iii, F minor (F – Ab – C). F minor seventh (F – Ab – C – Eb).
- Chord IV, Gb major (Gb – Bb – Db). Gb major seventh (Gb – Bb – Db – F).
- Chord V, Ab major (Ab – C – Eb). Ab dominant seventh (Ab – C – Eb – Gb).
- Chord vi, Bb minor (Bb – Db – F). Bb minor seventh (Bb – Db – F – Ab).
- Chord vii°, C diminished (C – Eb – Gb). C minor seventh flat five (C – Eb – Gb – Bb).
Common chord progressions in the key of Db major are:
- I – IV – V (Db – Gb – Ab)
- I – vi – IV – V (Db – Bbm – Gb – Ab)
- ii – V – I (Ebm7 – Ab7 – Dbmaj7)
The following is a diagram of the Db major key signature as well as the Db major scale on the treble and bass clefs. The Db major scale has 5 flats, Ab, Bb, Db, Eb, and Gb.
Here is a diagram showing the Db major scale on piano/keyboard.
Check out the Piano For All piano lessons. It’s my favorite online course for learning how to play piano.